The Foundation Courses are a suite of courses designed to enable every Family and MWR team member to establish the knowledge base necessary to start them on the right path toward career success. Each course introduces critical components of organizational operations, structure, and processes that will help new employees value and connect to organizational goals. All of the foundation courses should be completed before applying for residential, virtual classroom and/or blended courses.
Goal: Provide all Family and MWR team members with a baseline of knowledge that will encourage and support them on a long-term meaningful career path in Family and MWR.
Course Completion Schedule
The following three (3) courses are required for ALL Family and MWR employees regardless of program area or grade.
- Family & MWR Orientation Course (Online)– This course must be completed within the first 30 days of employment by all employees.
- Team Member Orientation* (New Hires only) (TMO) (Local Classroom)– This residential classroom course is conducted at your local installations and should be completed within the first 30-90 days of employment.
- Operation Excellence – Customer Service Training – This course can be completed online or at your local installation in the classroom, but it must be done within the first 3 months of employment.
The following course is required for ALL Family and MWR Program Managers, Division Chiefs, and Directors at the NF3 and above or GS equivalent.
- Family & MWR Basic Management Course (Online)- This course is required for all Program Managers and above. It should be completed within the first 6 months of employment.
Please see IMCOM 350-1 for more information on training requirements.
*NOTE: TMO is required for all NEW Employees who have been hired at a new duty station within the first 30-90 days of employment. Employees who have been at their duty location longer than that are strongly encouraged to attend a TMO course.
The Program Managers’ Curriculum is designed to build knowledge, skills, and abilities that are applied to managing any Family and MWR program. The Curriculum consists of five (5) virtual classroom courses and 1 blended course. Each course is standalone and can be taken in any order and on any timeframe.
Curriculum Goal: The Program Managers’ Curriculum provides the practical hands-on experience necessary to interpret policy, apply command guidance, and identify processes necessary to manage a Family and MWR program.
Curriculum Target Audience: Family & MWR Program Managers (Army Community Service, Community Recreation, Business Operations, Child Youth & School Services, and Support Services Division) or personnel performing similar duties at grade NF3 through NF4 or GS 7-12 who manage a garrison level Family & MWR program.
Curriculum Enrollment Procedures: Students who are interested in completing the Program Managers Curriculum should review and complete the curriculum prerequisites, review each course in the curriculum, select one (or more) of the courses listed in the curriculum and request enrollment (see list of curriculum courses below), once all required curriculum courses have been completed, then request enrollment and complete the curriculum capstone course.
Curriculum Prerequisites: Students who wish to participate in the Program Managers Curriculum must complete the following curriculum prerequisites prior to requesting enrollment in any of the curriculum core courses:
NOTE: Individual courses may have additional prerequisites not listed as part of the curriculum. See www.imcomacademy.com for more information.
Curriculum Core Courses: Courses in the curriculum can be completed in any order. Students should ensure they read and understand each course requirements prior to requesting enrollment.
- Managing Workplace Conflict (Virtual)
- Situational Leadership (Virtual)
- NAF Financial Management (Virtual)
- NAF Internal Controls (Virtual)
- NAF Personnel Management (Virtual)
- NAF Contracting Made Easy for Program Managers (formerly Procurement for NAF Program Managers) (Virtual)
- Business Plans (Blended)